Utterly Indiscreet

Sunday, July 10, 2005

Bratty Kids in Public Places

Singaporeans have been accused for being rude and self-centred and many people wonder why. I think I have found the answer! It's poor parenting skills. Parents don't teach their kids how to behave in public. When they grow up and become adults, they won't be able to control themselves.

Recently, I went to a movie and there were many parents there with their little ones. Most were toddlers or below the age of 12. However, none of them knew how to behave. Of course, the really young ones were too young to control themselves, but there is no excuse for the behavior I saw by the others.

Kids kept getting up and changing seats or talking. They really disturbed the rest of the viewers in the theatre hall. Shouldn't the parents have told them to be quiet or take the repeat offenders home?

The problem of bratty kids not only exists in movie theatres. Everytime I take the bus or MRT, I see kids running around and being brats! The parents usually just sit there and let the kids do whatever they want. If the parent tells their kids to behave, then it is only temporary. If I had behaved that way when my parents took me out, I would have been smacked in the head and we would have gone straight home. Why aren't Singaporean parents doing that?

What is going to happen when these kids grow up? They are going to end up becoming impatient and rude adults who don't have any respect for others. They won't know how to behave in public places.

Therefore, children must be taught by their parents about how to behave in public. Parents must tell their kids that it is not acceptable to be running around or making noise in places like movie theatres. If children can't behave, then I think the theatre has the right to tell parents and their kids to leave. They are spoiling the movie for other viewers.

As the old saying goes, "Children should be seen, but not heard. "

Do you agree?

5 Comments:

  • At 6:18 PM , Blogger indiscreet said...

    Oh yeah...went to the mall today to see a movie and guess what? There were tons of kids running around and annoying everyone including myself. What are their parents thinking? Don't they teach their young any manners? It's terrible.....

     
  • At 4:10 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I agree that no one teaches proper ettiquite anymore and that society is missing out by not teaching its young to respect, listen, and that rules for everyone. Otherwise, we end up with a society that is extremely egotistical and self centered, lacking compassion and understanding towards our fellow beings.
    Someone said to me that "the [being] thirty is the new twenties" referring to young people not being considered full adults with responsibilities, status, etc. until much later in life. It takes longer to get established in work, kids leave home later, stay in school longer, married and have kids at a older age. Think that society is devolving as of late from all the immature 30 year olds I meet.

     
  • At 4:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Opps, should check my grammar and spelling before posting . . .hmm guess should use the 'preview' option.

     
  • At 10:00 PM , Blogger indiscreet said...

    Hi Anonymous, Sorry about the late response. Yep, there are brats everywhere I look. Drives me nuts. If those were my kids, I wouldn't let them out of the house. My parents never tolerated that kind of behaviour.

    Hmm.. .like your comment about people in their thirties. Interesting.

     
  • At 3:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I've taught school for 15 years and I've definitely noticed a change in the self-discipline and respect that children today show. I truly think that one of the problems is the number of parents who are over the age of forty when they have their children. They are often the parents who are fully established and financially sound before having children. Often their children are born as the result of various fertility treatments. These parents look at their children as the "second coming of Christ. " Their little miracle can do no wrong, and no request or obstacle is too small when it comes to their child's happiness. They indulge their child's every whim. I'm sick to death of trying to teach these little brats who talk more than they listen. These children have high self esteem for no good reason. They don't treat the other children well, and they show no respect for authority,their parents defend their actions to the death, and the children know this. Please don't get me wrong. The profile that I stated earlier doesn't include every older parent, and I don't think all children are brats. My coworkers and I just seem to see this pattern a lot at our school. I live in an area that used to be a low to lower middle class community. We are 60 miles away from a major city and over the past 5 years we've experienced a gentrification of the area with real estate developers drawing a wealthier crowd here. I'm ready to change jobs from having to deal with their spoiled kids. Thanks for letting me vent!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home