Utterly Indiscreet

Sunday, July 17, 2005

Celebrity Bloggers Conference

A friend and I dropped by blog con, a gathering of local bloggers, which was held on July 16 at DXO. I saw a few of the top bloggers in Singapore including mrbrown (his little daughter is like a celebrity herself), mrmiyagi, and the infamous Wendy. It was kind of weird. There were all of popula bloggers getting their photos with other bloggers or with their fans. People treat them like celebrities. No doubt that these photos will be popping up on various blogs in the next few days. There will probably be comments like "Look, there's me and Blogger so and so. Isn't he cute? Isn't he great?"

Actually, the only blogger I really talked to was mrmiyagi who was actually quite a nice guy. I mentioned to mrmiyagi (And yes, he is much shorter in person) that I had been reading his column about blogging in Today. He happened to start writing that column after I had just started my blog. He said that "people who read it, don't blog." But he meant that the purpose of his column was to inform people who don't know anything about blogging. When I told him that I am a new blogger, he told me not to blog about political topics because it's boring. He said I should just blog about whatever interests me instead. It thought that was good advice.

So why do people blog? And why do I blog? I blog to express myself and maybe other people will happen to be interested in what I blog about and we can share opinions. However, I think there are a lot of bloggers out there who are only blogging towards an audience. I kind of disagree with that, but at the same time I can understand how that could happen.

I guess that once a blogger realizes that a lot of people are viewing their blogs every day, they feel that they must have something to blog about. They feel that they must keep their blog really exciting, fun, or controversial to keep their fans. They are no longer blogging to communicate, but blogging to stay popular. Or they are probably tempted to make things up, so their lives seem more interesting to their fans. They probably do stuff, so they can blog or brag about it later.

I haven't been reading a lot of other blogs, but according to one friend who has been blogging a lot longer than I have, some bloggers do start to write a lot differently after they get a fan base. He feels that this drastically decreases their writing quality and effects how they express themselves. They start to censor themselves more because they know they have lots of viewers or they write things only because they think their fans are interested in them- not because the blogger is interested. He also thinks that once people know who he really is or what is his profession, he won't be able to blog anymore. He won't be able to be honest anymore in his blogs. He'll feel self conscious about what or who he writes about.

So maybe I should have a few rules about my own blog. I will go back to them periodically and see how I do.

Here are my blogging rules:

1. Don't blog about work. It's boring and will probably end up only being a string of complaints. I probably do that enough already. No need to torture more people with my complaints.

2. Only blog when I feel like it. My blog is a way to express myself. I should only blog if I really have an opinion about a topic or if I feel inspired about something.

3. Don't lie on my blog. Don't make up stuff or just do stuff so I can blog about it. If I start doing that, then I am writing towards an audience and not just for myself.

So now I just have to wait and see what happens.......let the blogging begin!

10 Comments:

  • At 2:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Why shouldn't you blog about politics? If it interests you, blog about it. It may not interest Mr Miyagi, but why should his preferences influence how others blog?

     
  • At 6:15 PM , Blogger indiscreet said...

    I agee now that I have had a bit more time to consider the advice he gave me.

    I guess mr miyagi's point was that there are more interesting things than politics...but then again, why am I blogging? To express my own interests and opinions. And maybe someone will get into a discussion with me about them.

    I wonder if a lot of bloggers live in a state of fear of being arrested for blogging about the government. Or maybe they are afraid of getting sued like what happened with that Singapore blogger who was studying in the U.S.

    BTW: The excessive rehearsals for the national day parade are a waste of f---king public money! So there!! I feel more myself now.

     
  • At 10:38 PM , Blogger Ellipsis said...

    wrt to the "more interesting things than blogging part", it's quite subjective really. in the event that what interests you appears to be a 'dead' subject to the masses(eg. politics), this blogger's writings might give you some inspiration on the art of fishing with really lousy bait. :) enjoy!

     
  • At 9:31 AM , Blogger Cowboy Caleb said...

    Thanks for coming to Bloggers.SG 2005

    You have a good point. Many bloggers change their style once they experience a boost in readership. But their writing should evolve. Everything is changing, nothing should be static.

    Keep blogging!

    :)

     
  • At 12:58 PM , Blogger aberwyn said...

    some label blogging as the new IRC. the younger generation(generally) uses it as a form of communication between peers and at times competition. Older(matured) ones tend to just write what they want and not really care about response. Notice young bloggers almost always has a tag board? older ones don't. younglings uses it as a communication too between them and the public.
    bottomline i suppose, write what you like, avoid what you dont like to read. there should be no rules on the net. creativity gets stifled if we try to tell folks what to and/or what not to write.

     
  • At 8:16 AM , Blogger indiscreet said...

    Wow, thanks for all of the comments. Actually, I am quite shocked that anyone even goes to my blog. Needless to say that I am still new at this and figuring things out as I go along.

    Yes, I really do think that bloggers change how they write and start to think too much about what they write once they find out that many people are going to their blog. Now I am hesitant to give my blog address to anyone I know. I only gave it out to like 3 people to get them to try it out and see if their computers will blow up or anything.

    I am sure that I will start self censoring myself if I knew who exactly has been reading my blog. I don't want to feel inhibited in my writing in any way.

    So I think I am going to keep my blog address and real name a secret for now. I won't publicize it on purpose.

    Someone once told me that he thought some bloggers are real "media whores." Now, that I have seen how fans circle the various celeb bloggers at the blog con event, I know what they mean. It was really OTT.

    They are just bloggers. It's not like they have save the world or something. I had no idea how popular some local bloggers were.

    What do the rest of you think?

     
  • At 1:41 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    It is very OTT, and it makes me do the eyeroll when I see that happen. And yet - the thing about blogs is that there are no rules. The media whores and blog recluses can coexist. Anything goes, whatever floats your boat, and seriously - blog what you want. Blogs can be boring, exciting, funny, mundane, controversial - anything.

     
  • At 8:20 AM , Blogger indiscreet said...

    Do you think bloggers lose credibility when everyone can spot them and they start making public appearances? I still find it quite odd that there some people were jumping to get their photos taken with their favorite blogger at blog con.

    Guess everyone wants to be liked in some way and feel like others are thinking about what they write....

     
  • At 9:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    It depends on the type of blog in the first place, and what kind of fame/notoreity/credibility is at stake. If fame doesn't change the blog, or improves the blog - then so be it. Everybody wins. But if fame was the be all and end all of the blog, then that's the sad part really. And yet - not so different from the real world is it? Blogging is merely a microcosm of the larger world it inhabits.

     
  • At 10:26 AM , Blogger indiscreet said...

    I suspect there were bloggers who are starting to get overblown egos because they are definitely only writing controversial stuff just to stay in people's minds. Come on! Would they be writing such stuff if no one was going to their blog?

    I trying to stay a purist and only blog to express myself and not to an audience. But who knows? It's easy to fall into the trap of wanting attention and being famous...

    Did you read Mr. Miyagi's commentary about the blog con event? He didn't think it was "just a yawn" which the Sunday Times had labelled it.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home