Utterly Indiscreet

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Stupid Chinese Superstitions

I have to say this....there are some really dumb Chinese superstitions. Here are a couple of really stupid ones:

1. Don't wash your hair on Chinese New Year because it will wash away bad luck. That's stupid. If my hair is dirty, I am washing it no matter what. What does luck have to do with having dirty hair? Nothing.

2. New mothers should not bathe for the first three months after having a baby. That's also stupid. The reason for that idea was that women used to take baths in the freezing river and they might catch cold. Won't you smell terrible and look awful if you don't shower or bathe for three months? Gross.

There are tons more. What is one stupid superstition that you know? Post them here.

6 Comments:

  • At 8:40 AM , Blogger indiscreet said...

    Can you imagine? The father would not want to go anywhere near the mother if she hadn't showered in 3 months!

     
  • At 8:55 AM , Blogger indiscreet said...

    She probably doesn't want the hubby going near her after the baby. She is probably exhausted from taking care of it.

    However, I have to say that mothers are spoiled here. They usually have maids or mothers to help out. In other countries, they don't even have an confinement period. Mothers can still go out to do stuff. They don't just stay at home.

     
  • At 11:07 AM , Blogger indiscreet said...

    I don't have one either! I have a hard time telling a maid what to do and prefer to do my cleaning whenever I feel like it instead of having someone come do it on specific days.

     
  • At 8:05 AM , Blogger indiscreet said...

    It's good that you can do your own housework. How many guys can do that?

    Actually, I don't mind cleaning my place myself. I am used to it as well. Plus I feel that having a maid is a bit intrusive.

    I know some people who actually tidy up before the maid comes.

     
  • At 9:28 PM , Blogger indiscreet said...

    Agree with you, but papers seem to pile up on my dining room table. I try to clear it every few weeks.

     
  • At 10:47 AM , Blogger indiscreet said...

    It's not as bad as you think.There are like 30-50 pieces of paper and they are in 2 or 3 stacks so I know what is what. My dining table is kind of long, so I can have my laptop at one end to blog etc.

    And erm...I don't have a study desk. No space. So my dining room table is the stand in for that.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home