Utterly Indiscreet

Saturday, October 08, 2005

The 1920s

I like the 1920s. Saw a movie recently which was set in the late 1920s and it looked like people had a really good time (if you had money). Parties, trips to Europe, dinner parties where people actually bothered to dress up etc.

The fashions were elegant and everyone had fun. The women wore feminine and beautiful dresses with hats and long gloves. The men still had manners and women still believed that men would take care of them. People didn't seem to have a care in the world.

I am probably romanticizing it all, but what happened to those simple days when everyone was so innocent and still believed in everything?

3 Comments:

  • At 7:33 AM , Blogger Valerie said...

    The simpler life? It's hard to find, when you've living in an urban centre and working. Within the confines of that environment, it's possible to limit complexities to some extent. It's up to the individual to determine what is necessary in one's life, and what can be let go.

    Yes, people do romanticize about the past. They tend to forget the bad stuff and remember the positive as being better than it actually was at the time. A survival tool, I guess. Makes for happy thoughts about the past.

    If you talk to your parents about this, they would likely say that they felt the same thing when they were younger: their youth was simpler and more innocent than their adulthood.

     
  • At 10:16 AM , Blogger indiscreet said...

    Yep,life was simpler when everyone didn't have to live in the urban jungle all the time. Think I want to retire in the countryside one day.

     
  • At 1:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    My plan is to make enough money and buy a cottage in the woods, grow my own vegetables, flowers, and adopt about 50 cats to keep my company. I will only go into town to pick up stuff I can't make or grow myself, and of course lots of cat food for my friends.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home