Utterly Indiscreet

Saturday, January 14, 2006

The Wife Can't Cook

Met up with a recently married friend for lunch. I had imagined that his wife made him a nice breakfast this morning. Hmm....am I being sexist? He laughed and said no. His wife can't cook! He says he can cook more than she does.

Is it terrible to say this....but WTF? Why don't parents or schools teach their kids to cook? My parents taught me when I was around twelve.

Don't they have home economics in this country? I learned how to make simple meals and sew when I was thirteen in home ec class at school. The boys had to learn as well.

Anyways, cooking is a life skill. I think everyone should learn how to do it.

4 Comments:

  • At 1:58 PM , Blogger indiscreet said...

    Why don't you take a cooking class? Or if it is too embarassing or expensive, get a beginners cookbook from the library. There are tons of cookbooks there.

    Have fun.

     
  • At 12:09 PM , Blogger aberwyn said...

    well, girls were taught cooking in home econs lessons right? I see it more as a, equal rights thing of the modern society. The "I contribute (monetary means) to the relationship too, so why should i cook(indentified with servitude)" mentality that is the result of too much american sitcoms. Most modern men can cook, most modern women i know can't. Well, its how the society modernises. We just have to live with it. Well, I'm a man and I love mucking around in the kitchen. :)

     
  • At 11:12 AM , Blogger indiscreet said...

    I liked mucking around too. But I am usually too busy on weekdays, so I only make quick and healthy food. On the weekends is when I do any real cooking if I am in the mood.

     
  • At 12:54 PM , Blogger indiscreet said...

    Being a chef is not as simple as cooking good food. You have to have the discipline and other skills too. People who become a Master chef are in a category of their own. They have to compete and be able to deal with pressure -not just cook.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home